Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Scout Oath and Law

I’m finally getting into the groove of things with my scouts. I’m understanding how badges work, what kinds of activities we need to have, and the things we should be teaching these kids. We’re trying to get a few of our boys their Webelos badge, and boy do they have to do –and memorize- a lot. I looked over the list, and decided that one of the things I could help them memorize were the scout oath and the scout law. So after some input from Chelle (Because I ask her literally every time I need help with anything in my calling/church related items) I made these.

This first one is the scout law – I wrote them all on 3x5 cards, and affixed them with Velcro. Then I pulled them off, and had the boys put them on in the right order. I gave them a mnemonic sentence to help them try to remember the order. The sentence was Tommy Let His Fish Carry Kids Over Chocolate Turtles By Collecting Rope. So, the scout law is (A Scout Is) Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent. I think it helped them, but I’ll make them play the game until they have it down pat.

5-17-12 106

The second one is the Oath, which reads as:

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

So I wrote this down on a poster board,

5-17-12 107

and then Chelle helped me cut this board into puzzle pieces (which I should have taken a picture of, but didn’t!) and I numbered the backs (just in case). Then after cutting it, we put it back together to make sure the boys could do it. Sadly, we didn’t get a chance to do it at scouts, but we will next week, and I’m looking forward to them doing it. Hopefully they can put it together, and quickly!

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Thanks for asking for help. I love helping people. Plus, I love that you are getting so creative with your calling. I just love it!!