Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Its like a part of me has died

One of the greatest inventions of my life has to be text messaging. It’s an easy way to keep tabs on people, an easy way to shout out at people really quickly if you don’t want to have a whole conversation. Or, if you’re me, texting replaces all phone conversations. I’m not a talking-on-the-phone kind of person. People keep trying to get me with the argument of, ‘Well, it’s so much easier to talk on the phone, say one quick thing, and get it taken care of’ but that’s not how I feel. I like to have a conversation going, and there could be many a thing I want to talk about. And I don’t want to say one thing and then end the thing there. If we have a lot to talk about-will we have to be on the phone for a long time? Because that would cut into my plans of the day. What if I think of something later to tell you? Do I have to call you back just to say one thing, or do I have to wait until the next day to call you? See-these are things I wonder about phone usage. Another thing people say is bad about the texting is that you don’t ever know how something is being said. You don’t get tone of voice, sarcasm, etc from it. I disagree. If you know the person you’re texting very well (like myself and PJ), you absolutely know how is being said. I can even hear her voice in many of the things she texts me. And if you aren’t sure how to take it-how hard is it to ask for them to clarify? Jeez.
One thing I like about the texting is picture messaging. Sadly right now, I can’t receive any pictures on my phone. I can send them out, but for some reason, I can’t get them. For the last two days, I have been on the phone with my T-Mobile customer service for many an hour trying to solve this problem. After a couple of hours yesterday, and going through I think 4 tech people trying to fix it, they finally told me to get a new SIM card and that would solve my problem. Wanting this problem to be gone by my trip next week, I went straightaway to the phone store and got one. After I put in the new card, I tested it out, and received a picture message. Rejoicing in my good luck, I thought all my problems had solved.
Later in the evening, I noticed that it had stopped working. Cursing the phone Gods, I called yet again to the customer service to have them fix it. After about an hour (but only 2 techs) they have come to the conclusion that it can’t be fixed. They have written me up as a “Trouble Ticket” and handed my problem over to an engineer who they say can fix the problem-and it will take up to 4 calendar days. This troubles me for many reasons. Does this mean my picture receiving days are over? Will I get the ability back in time for my trip? I love getting pictures from people-so this saddens me.
Until this gets solved, I’m pretty much just up a creek without a paddle. I’m going to keep my fingers crossed that they’ll be able to fix this. And if you send me a picture message, and I don’t write back, it’s not that I hate you…necessarily.

2 comments:

PJ said...

We are both of us unable to receive the picture messages. Alas.

Chelle! said...

Oh, I am so sad for you. What to do?? What to do??