Tuesday, May 20, 2008

If only there had been cake.

Today was my grandfather's 88th birthday. Can you believe? Way to keep rocking, man. My aunts threw a party for him, and of course, I attended. I wasn't sure who was coming, but the parents and I headed up to meet everyone, with high hopes.
I haven't seen my cousins for at least 10 years, and even then, I've seen them, from a distance at the few family functions I've been to, but I haven't talked to them since I can even remember. And I remember at every family thing, I always felt so young. They're all much older than I am-but how much older I really can't say. Maybe 10-15 years in a few of them, and I think that a couple could be older than that. Even though I'm now (technically) an adult, (I saw technically, because I so don't feel like an adult) I still feel like a kid. I was the youngest person there, and I felt it. I know its dumb to, but I still did around them. They were all really nice though, and they all kept telling me how they hadn't seen me since I was knee high. (In one cousin's case, since I was an infant. That boggles my mind)
There were a few children there, and I actually got along with them. I never hang out with kids at events-usually the two of us avoid each other, and with good reason. But some of those little kids were cute-although one kept calling me Jenna. I'm pretty sure he just couldn't remember what my real name was. Thats ok though, because I'm really not sure what any of their names were. I even held a baby! But only for about ten minutes. It started to cry, so I loaded it off to another person.
All in all, it was a fun night. I was glad I got to see these guys-and hopefully I'll get to see them all before another ten years pass. And sadly, I didn't even get to eat any cake!

2 comments:

PJ said...

I just had a cookie. Good on you for staying strong, though. I'm so proud that you even looked at children. You're totally almost ready to have one of your own.

Maleen said...

You might want to get married first. Just a thought, because I can truthfully say it is easier with two people than one. But props on holding a baby. I'll make you hold Daisy when she gets here...good practice.