Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Always, always follow the labels.

I consider myself a smart person. I'm no genius, but I can hold my own in any type of situation where brains are required. Sometimes, and I'll admit this sadly, my brain doesn't always think things through. I will think something is a good idea, and do whatever I've thought of and afterwards realize how dumb it was. Tonight, I had such an experience. Let me preface this whole story with this: It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Today I lifted weights as part of my routine. I have my own weights, basically, my own gym set up in my house. After I was finished, I kinda haphazardly threw my weight near the wall. Doing so, I hit into the corner of the wall, detaching it, and splintering the wood. Thinking I better fix it, and not really knowing how, I chose the universal solvent: super glue. Patting myself on the back for thinking of something smart, I found some and started gluing. (After explaining to dad that I just wanted to see the super glue, not really DO anything with it) I unscrewed the lid, and got going. First, a little mishap, the bottle was stuck to my hand for like, a second. But I got it off, so it was ok.
I got started with the glue and the wall. The glue proved to be a little tricker than I thought, it was getting all over the place. After holding the thing in place for 15 seconds (like the label told me to do) I saw that it was holding, and, self-satisfied, pulled my hands back. Or at least, tried to. I had accidentally glued my hand to the wall. Luckily, I had seen The Wedding Planner, so I came prepared with nail polish remover. Sadly for myself, the movie doesn't honestly depict what happens with super glue and remover. It does help with the removing, but it definitely pulled some of my skin off with it. I did get unstuck from the wall though, so it worked out for me.
Now that the whole ordeal is over, I realize it was not one of my brightest moves. But I learned something: those "Keep away from children" warnings are really meant for me.

3 comments:

PJ said...

Oh dear me. I spilled super glue on my desk when I first got it at work and it's still there to this day.

Chelle! said...

Oh My, Vieve, what will you think of next. Good thing that you did not have call the paramedics to remove your hand from the wall. On the other hand, you should have called them....they are definitely something to look at.

Maleen said...

Lucky you. I always have trouble with knives. And they don't come with instructions besides the obvious "Keep your fingers out of the way and don't be stupid". Regardless, I still manage to hurt myself 7 out of 10 times.