Thursday, May 15, 2008

I need more clothes

Today, I wore a shirt I haven’t worn in a while. As I was pulling it on, I thought to myself, “Self, why don’t we wear this shirt more often?” A couple of hours into my day, I remembered why. The shirt is a stretchy-type material, which, of course, rides up. So all day long, I had to pull the shirt down to be a normal shirt. It was irritating-to say the least. I was so uncomfortable all day, thinking more about my clothes than anything else, and not in a good way. More like, “Is it down? Am I showing skin someplace that I don’t know about? What’s happening around here?!”

Have you ever had this? You pick an awkward shirt or an ill-fitting pair of pants, and suddenly, your whole day is thrown out of whack? It happens to me so often. I should start carrying extra clothing around with me, for when this happens again. And of course, it never manifests itself before you leave your house. You pull on your clothes, give yourself a one-over in the mirror and think, “That’s right”. Then you leave the house, get going with things, and then you notice it. At first you brush it off, like it could just be the way you’re walking, or sitting, but then as time goes on, you’ve switched the way you’re doing things, and yet, your clothes are still waged in a war against you. And unfortunately, you’ll lose every time. I usually stick to the clothes I know I love, and therefore wear often, but sometimes, I just have to switch it up. I should attach little signs to my clothes, to remind me what wearing them is like. To a pair of pants, I could attach, ‘These are too short’ or on a shirt, ‘Will show a bra strap by lunch time’-I could save myself massive amount of time spent on trying to fix myself throughout the day.

I know this is a dumb thing to blog about, and not that interesting, but it consumed my whole day and made me kinda grouchy. I couldn’t wait to get out of this shirt-and hopefully, I’ll remember next time why I haven’t worn it in about 3 months.

4 comments:

Chelle! said...

WOW~~~That really makes sense why you were so GROUCHY today. HEE HEE!!! I thought it was other things....like everyone that you came incontact with today!!!

Maleen said...

Thanks, she came in contact with me today. That would explain a lot!!
I totally agree with you though. Wearing something distracting can ruin a day. I sit down in pants when I try them on because they aren't the same as when you are standing and who stands all day? The more comfortable and modest my clothing, the less I notice it, and just enjoy the day.
If I were you, I would toss the shirt now instead of finding out in 3 months why you don't wear it often.

FishingMetaphor said...

I totally hate those shirts! The sad thing is, once I had underwear that was that material. That was the least comfortable day of my entire life.

PJ said...

I hate that because when you put it on you have no idea why you don't wear it more. Then about one hour later you are wondering when you can go to lunch so you can buy a new shirt and change out of the annoying one you are wearing.