Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's the white in the knuckles

Last night kicked off Sports Week 2008. We literally have something sporty every night, so this week is appropriately named. Yesterday’s event was Fiesta Days-specifically the rodeo. I’d never been to a rodeo before this, but I was excited. I have wanted to go for a few years now; every time it gets to be about this time of year, I always see the billboards advertising it, but we never get the chance to go. Luckily this year, we did! Since we already had a bunch of stuff, we figured tacking this on would just complete the awesomeness of Sports Week 2008. I guess, technically, it started on Monday night, with the watching of the Espy’s, but since I didn’t watch any sports, just awards given out for sports, I didn’t really count it.
The rodeo is fun. I’m sure everyone that reads this has been to one, so I won’t need to explain it, which is good. There was Mutton Bustin’, which was one of my favorites. A tiny child riding sheep-there is nothing cuter than that. My favorite of these little kids was a boy who rode it all the way across the arena with only one hand on the sheep-kind of like how the guys ride the bulls. He was adorable, and rightly deserving of the record he set and the trophy he got. There was, of course, bull riding, and bareback riding, and trailer racing. The trailer racing was a little weird and over so quick! It was funny to watch two grown men trying to get onto a horse together and do a quick lap around the arena. The calf roping was ok, but it made me a little sad. Call me a sissy, but I felt bad for the little things! I know it probably doesn’t hurt them, and I didn’t care about the actual roping thing, but when they got the rope around their necks, and then that little *jerk* thing that happens when they have to stop running because of the rope, that made me a little sad! The thing I didn’t enjoy was the barrel racing. I just thought it was boring, watching the girls run around barrels. I know it requires a lot of skill and many hours of training, but I just didn’t like it.
I was hoping they’d have funnel cake at this thing. It seems the appropriate venue to have it-at a fair-type place, but, alas, ‘twas not meant to be. I will find some, somehow, soon. I wanted to have some at Disneyland when I went in the beginning of June, but never got around to it-there was so much other food to be had! Maybe I just need to visit the carnival of Fiesta Days, and they’ll have it there.
I’m glad to have this week kicked off-but I’m not looking forward to the amount of sleep I already am losing over it. Last night, we started at 8, and it was over at about 10:45. Put in time for getting home and brushing teeth, and already, I’m past my bedtime. The rest of this week looks to be about the same. But I’m not complaining-I’m excited for all the stuff that’s going to happen. Tonight is the thing I’m most looking forward to. What is it? You’ll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out…

4 comments:

PJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PJ said...

I deleted my comment! It said:

I think the ESPYs should count as a sport. If baseball and golf get to count as a sport, then the ESPYs should too. There was physical activity. JT was dancing...and singing...

Wait, maybe the ESPYs are musical theater!

Maleen said...

I will have to live vicariously through you for a while because I don't think I am getting out with a new baby. Funny thing though, I will probably still get less sleep.

Chelle! said...

I loved the Mutton Bustin' too!!! But, I think that my favorite it the Bull Riding. I get that adrenal rush every time a cowboy gets on a bull--actually, I get scared out my wits!!!