Monday, July 21, 2008

It's up to my thighs, so it's probably only up to your calves.



This last weekend, PJ and I took a quick trip down to Hurricane. Sometimes you just have to get away, and this was one of these times. We originally wanted to go north, maybe escape some of the heat a little, but that didn’t work out like we had planned. Heading south was our only option, so we decided that Zion’s would be a good place to go. Escaping the heat is definitely not something we did down there! It was over a hundred degrees-not ideal for hiking. We took lots of water and PJ put on her sunscreen, and off we went. (I never use sunscreen. Yes, I know this is bad)
We got to the park at about 11:00-ish. Already it was warm and only getting hotter. We took the shuttle up to our desired destination, and started making our way up a trail. It was hot. By now it was about 12:30, and the sun was out in full force. I ended up taking off my shirt and just hiking in my camisole, it was so hot. After we’d been hiking for a bit, we realized we should have hit the water we were promised on the hike we were on. With sweat dripping off our faces, we surveyed the canyon, and realized we were on the wrong trail! We found the right one, and then spent a while in this water, it was so cool. We decided that instead of taking the shuttle back down to the main place, we’d just walk our way back down to the visitor’s center. On the way, we encountered many a wild life. We ran into some turkeys, and if you ever talk to PJ, ask her to make a noise like a turkey. Holy crap it is so funny. We ran into some deer, one of whom we named Felicia She was super skinny; we kept trying to get her to eat something. She didn’t really listen to us, though, and moved on. There were also some baby deer, and they were adorable. We talked with them for a while. We went into the river for a long while too. It was difficult to navigate through the water, with the rocks and sand, but it was nice and cool in there. The name of this post actually comes from something I said to PJ. As everyone knows, I am super short, but the “awesome” thing about my shortness is that my torso is regular length, but my legs are super short. So in some sections, PJ would be up to her calves, and the water would be up to my thighs. Dang these short legs!
We hiked all afternoon, but had to be back at our hotel room for the Real game that night. I’m sorry, even on vacation, I will not miss it. We tied Chicago, and since nobody else had a really good game this weekend, we’re still in first place! Keep it up, guys.
All in all, it was a great weekend. I got sunburned a little on my shoulders and a little on my neck and back. I like getting the burn though, I get tanner! I got to see the Dark Knight (oh my heck that movie is fantastic. Everyone go see that, right now) and got to get away from everything. Of course, you hate coming back, and I do wish our weekend could have been longer. But we need to save up our time for other trips!

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

Ok, you talk to animals--I think that you were either dehydrated or you were suffering from a heat stroke. I am not sure exactly what was up with you and PJ. Maybe, just maybe you should not be hiking--you probably should be in the looney bin!!!

PJ said...

Just a note that the name of the National Park is Zion not Zions. I hope we hear from Felicia soon. Anyone that asks, I will make the turkey noise for.

Maleen said...

If it's up to your thighs, it would probably be up to my waist. Tyler laughs that capri pants are normal pants to me and I can wear long shorts as capris.