Thursday, July 24, 2008

Go, my favorite sports team!

We are now past the mid-point of Sports Week 2008. Last nights event was…a soccer game! Now you see why it was my favorite. My boys in red, Real, played a Costa Rican team, Saprissa. We…lost, sadly, but we put up a good fight, particularly at the end. Any Latin America team is going to be good, and give us a real fight for the win. Americans, as much as we try, will never be quite as good as them. We know soccer, we are good, but they grow up living it, breathing it. It’s all that those little kids do, play soccer; of course they’ll all be phenomenal. The referee last night wasn’t too bad, he was calling so many things, and for both sides, which was a weird thing. He liked to give out yellow cards, which is always a treat.
One of my favorite moments of the game was a fight. Of course, it was with our own Yura Movsisyan, he’s such a fighter. I’d hate to make him angry, I think he would punch me in the face and I would die. He’s a big guy. I don’t know the circumstances of the fight (who started it, what started it) alls I know is all of a sudden, there was a fight happening. Yura got a red card, as did the offending Saprissian. (Sapriss-ian? Saprissan? I don’t know what to call him!) They were both leaving the field, and Yura was running off the field. I thought that was weird, they usually take their sweet time. As they both were nearing their respective locker rooms, I figured out why Yura was running. He wanted to get to the other guy- to continue this fight. One of the Real assistant coach-type guys was sprinting to get to Yura first-which he did. He pulled Yura away, to our own locker room, and Yura did that thing where he pointed at the guy, then at himself, then at the guy again, as if to say “Believe me, this isn’t over. I’ll get you”. It was awesome.
There were fireworks after the game, but we decided to skip them. They’re fun and all, but it was already getting late, and we’ve seen them before, (this month, in fact) and already I was tired, and thinking of how we had to get up to go to work in the morning. We caught a little of them in the car, so I felt like we had seen them. If only they would mix up the fireworks, add some new music, and maybe choreograph the explosions to them, I would have gone, but I didn’t feel like I was missing stuff.
Anyway, this week is going quite well. There are only two events left of Sports Week 2008, and I think they’ll both be a good time. The one tonight will be one that I’m definitely looking forward to-it only happens once a year! I wish good luck to all the competitors. I still haven’t decided what team I’m rooting for…

2 comments:

PJ said...

I'm rooting for West Ham so you have to root for the US.

Chelle! said...

I can't believe you left before the fireworks!! You two are crazy!!