Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cake Batter Cookies

I feel like this blog should be changed from my everyday adventures to just my Pinterest fails. It seems like, more often than not, lately when I make something that I found on Pinterest, it’s awful, or making it is just ridiculous, and I hate it before it’s even done. Sometimes, the finished product sort of makes up for it, but still, it’s just a lot of work for nothing. Anyway, I made a new recipe this week, Cake Batter cookies, and I’m going to be honest with you, this recipe read really well, then the actual making of it was like hell. I’M SORRY FOR THE SWEARS MOM. But I feel like that’s an appropriate word for it.

So the recipe is thus:

1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 and 1/4 cup yellow or white boxed cake mix
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (I used a blend of white and chocolate chips)
1/2 cup sprinkles

In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda.  Set aside.  In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugars on medium speed.  Mix in the egg and vanilla until creamy. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Do not OVERMIX the dough. Fold in the chocolate chips and sprinkles. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour, or up to 4 days.  This step is mandatory. The dough is fairly sticky, so chilling the dough is required in order to avoid the cookie from spreading too much.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Scoop rounded tablespoons of the cold dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Shape your cookie dough balls to be “taller” than they are wide, as pictured above.  Make sure to keep dough chilled when working in batches. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly browned. The centers will still appear very soft, but the cookies will set as they cool.

See, looks pretty easy? Well, it is but it isn’t. So I got started, and after I put in my softened butter (took a few hours, of course) and added my sugars, and creamed those babies right up, and added my egg, I realized, as soon as I cracked my egg into there, that I added too much butter. I was supposed to add 1 ½ sticks of butter, and I added 2 full sticks. GAH. So, I throw out the batter (Because I don’t know about you, but I don’t know how to make a recipe work, adding more of this, etc, so I started over) I had to wait for my butter to be softened, and then I got to work. After I made the dough, I noticed it was very piecey, but I thought, oh well, must be this recipe, I covered it up and put it in the fridge overnight, PER HER INSTRUCTIONS.

The next night, I pulled out my dough, and got to work. And by that, I mean, I really got to work. Trying to work cold cookie dough is hard. The pieces wouldn’t get together, I had to hold them in my hands, and really work them over to even become balls to put on the sheets. It took forever.

PreCookies

Then, I baked them. I put them in for 10 minutes, and they were still pretty ball-shaped, so I added more time. Then I pulled them out, and waited for them to cool down, to give them a try.

Cookied

They were a little crispier than I would have liked, but what could I do? They were done, no way to un-bake them, so alas, here I am. The cookies themselves are pretty good, but not worth the hassle. I think that if I made them again, I would just bake them straight after making the dough, none of this refrigeration nonsense. But at least I tried a new way of baking cookies, and I know that I’ll never do it again.

No comments: