Monday, September 1, 2008

Did you buy tickets?

To the gun show, that is. This labor day weekend, I did some shootin'. (Yes, I feel that taking the G off there is necessary)I was told by Pop that he and my brother were going to go to the shooting range and PJ and I went along. For those of you who don't know, Pop and my bro are military types. They have shot for a long time, and they're really good at it. This would be my second time shooting (ever!) and the first time was like, fifteen years ago. Needless to say, I was pretty sure I would barely be able to fire the gun.
After some gun tutorials and safety rules (if you're wondering, its not good to point the gun at people, even if its not loaded. I didn't do this, but I was told of this rule. Also, apparently, its not good to even joke at a shooting range. All of my best material, unusable) We got some aiming tips, told about the kick backs, explained which guns we had, and told to go for it. I loaded up the gun, the .357 Magnum, put up a target, put in my earplugs, and took aim.
The first shot scared the heck out of me. The kick-back wasn't too bad, but it still surprised me. I was shaking the whole time, so trying to aim or anything like that, was really difficult. Even after I finished my turn, it took a while to get my heart rate back to normal. PJ took her turn, and did about as well as me, I think. We then took a turn with a .44 Magnum. The kick on that was definitely more, but my aim was improving. After the .44, we did the .45 ACP, which was my favorite gun. It was light, with a manageable kick-back, and I aimed much better with it. I got some shots near the bulls-eye! We took a few more turns with each gun, then had to go, the range was closing up.
I think the more I go, the better I'll be, so I'm going to try to keep this up. I'm feeling pretty good about my skills now, which include loading a gun (several ways-I can do a barrell and a clip) and cocking the gun to shoot (I don't know if thats what its called). I learned that you can't do all the things you see in movies, which would take far too long to explain here, but it saddened me a little. I can't wait to go again-I will not rest until I hit the bullseye.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

Pretty good. I too am sad that there isn't much joking when it comes to shootin'.

Chelle! said...

I can not even imagine you being so serious. Is it possible? WOW!! This would be something I would love to witness. I do hope you get that bulls-eye soon!!