Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm staying young and beautiful until the day I die.

I know I'm a young chicken. All around me are people that are older than me, whether it be by a month or twenty years. I only recently turned 25, and I know how young that is. I didn't even have a hard time turning 25, even though it's halfway to fifty, which means halfway to dead. (Just kidding, ya'll.) There are a few things that make me feel my age-or even older than I am. Those few moments make me a little sad.
One of these moments is when I was filling out a form shortly after my birthday. I realized then that I had moved up a bracket. When filling things out previous, I was in the bracket 18-24. Now, I'm in the 25-35 box. I know thats a dumb thing to feel bad about, but for some inexplicable reason, that tugged at my heartstrings a little. I know longer am in that "young" demographic-I'm actually probably starting to be an adult.
Another instance is when I was at the store today. I had bought a bookcase, and the 17 (I think) year old kid who brought it up to me also carried out to my car. I thought this was polite, and a good show of customer service. When he loaded it into my car, he turned to me and said, "Have a good night, ma'am" and I almost died. Am I now a ma'am? I feel like I'm not even that much older than him, and I'm getting called ma'am. I know, it's a polite way of addressing women, but I feel like ma'am should only be used to address older woman. Someone of my still relatively young age should not be called this yet!
I know that none of this is really a big deal to people, and everyone who reads this is older than I, but different people have hard times with different things. And I'm not even having too hard a time with it, but I just have these few little issues with getting older. There are many good things, and I'm just trying to focus on those. Renting a car without paying that extra fee-woo hoo! I'll stay focused on the positives-until I have another of these moments.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Thanks for pointing out that everyone who reads your blog is older than you are. Awesome.
By the way, I hate the ma'am thing too. I know it is supposed to be respectful, but I hate it.