Thursday, December 25, 2008

The manner of giving is worth more than the gift

Merry Christmas, readers!
Ok, now that that's out of the way, we can continue. Christmas is a funny time. Months of stressing and planning for one (maybe two, if you count Christmas Eve) day of joy. And I don't know about you, but I stress. From the beginning of November until Christmas, I stress about what to get people, and I hope I get them enough, and I hope that they like what I get them, and that everything works out. Why do we worry so? We're giving someone a gift! Something, for free, that they otherwise wouldn't have, or would have to buy it for themselves. Just the fact that someone took time out of their lives to buy you something should be happiness enough, but oh, no. Some people hate what they get (I'll admit, I have been in this position before, I am ashamed to say) So because of this, I always panic that they'll hate the gift.
This Christmas was the same. I might have even overdone the gifts this year, trying to get people what they wanted, but you know, I don't care. Even though this time of year isn't supposed to be about presents, I love to give them. When someone opens the present you gave them, and you can see in their face that it's something they love, I love the feeling I get from that. It's such a relief, like all my hard work was good, and I did a good thing.
I think this year was a good one. I loved everything I got, and I think I picked good things for people to have. And if I didn't, meh. I always have next year to correct this. One of my favorite holiday quotes is: "As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December's bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same." And its true-I had no issues battling lines this year, to give those closest to me a smile on Christmas. And I hope I did!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I totally agree. Perhaps my favorite part of Christmas was finding out that my family really loved the gifts I sent to them in WA. Some years I really struggle with what to get them, so when I feel I have shopped well, I get excited. I just wish I could have been there to see their faces. But if I am not there, at least they don't have to pretend to be excited if they don't like it.

Chelle! said...

Well, I know that the wonderful Christmas presents you gave to me is EXACTLY what I wanted--there were definitely a smile on my face. I do agree with what you said...I hate the stress of it and what I hate more is the look of dis-satisfaction on the face of the receiver.