Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's on like Donkey Kong

Today was my parent's 35th wedding anniversary, so a bunch of the family got together to celebrate. We decided playing games would be the best way to have a good time. Let me preface this by saying, we love games. We are a competitive bunch, and there's usually a game pulled out at every family gathering. There are a few rules that are in effect though. I'm usually not allowed to be banker, because I've been known to...embezzle a little. I'm not saying I've done it in a long time, but I used to grease my own bank a little. And certain people aren't usually allowed to sit by each other, so as to discourage cheating as well. Some games are not allowed to be played anymore, but we have favorites that we usually play-one of which is Scattergories. But we wanted to branch out this time.
We started off with Clue-which we haven't played in a long time, because at this game, I cheat like you wouldn't believe. I can't even help myself usually, I just find myself finding ways to look at people's papers and cards, to ensure I'm the best. I know, I'm horrible! But this time, I didn't cheat! I fought the temptation all night, and in the end, it paid off by...me not winning. But I was honest, and I'm sure that is better in the long run. Next we played Apples to Apples, my new addiction. I find that during that game, I am the loudest. I'm arguing with cards, and I'll yell victoriously when my card is showing. Nobody really fights during that one, it's just a LOUD game, but it's always fun. (PS, I won that game)
The last game we did before we had to wrap things up was Life. Ah, the game of Life. I love this game. We haven't played it in a while either, also because of my cheating ways. I used to rig the cards to make sure I got the best career, and the best salary. I'm a little ashamed now, but I'm trying to mend my ways. I wasn't even going to be the banker this time, but I was voted in at the last minute. Don't worry-I was totally honest this way! I think Mom was trying to cheat though-she kept trying to "change in" her money without going through the proper channels. Good thing I was paying attention! I love how in any game, people start to mistrust everyone. You're carefully monitoring everyone's money, you're paying attention to every roll. The people you love most in the world, and during one game of Life, you're pretty sure they're a criminal, out to take you for everything you have.
I had a blast playing the games today, and I can't wait until the next time we get together to play some more. And believe you me, I'm gonna be brushing up on all my skills-and I'll try to keep my cheating in check!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I would never have taken you for a cheater. I am so rule-crazy that sometimes I am no fun...ask Tyler.

Chelle! said...

What? Maleen--you can't take Vieve as a cheater? You must be delirious!! When wouldn't Vieve cheat to win? I would hate to play Monopoly with you!! But, all in all, I love to play games--the competition person comes out in me!!