Friday, April 25, 2008

I'll help myself!

Last night, I made a trip to the local health store, for some supplements. Not sure exactly where I should be going or what I should be getting, I enlisted the help of the employee there. He immediately dismissed what I was looking for, telling me instead that I should get these other things. After talking for about ten minutes and apparently satisfied with the “service” he gave me, he walked away, to let me find these things all by myself. Since I really haven’t spent a long time in these stores, I still was unsure of where to go. I couldn’t really find him again after that, so I left that store, dejected.
I decided to try another one of these places, and got better results the second time. The guy knew what I needed, brought me over to the product, and explained how it would work. I bought my thing and went on my merry way. Afterwards, I was thinking of all the crappy service people get in stores now. There are a few kinds, I have noticed in my years. There is The Smotherer-this is the person who clearly works on commission, and desperately wants you to buy something. If you say you’re just looking, they’ll follow you around and will check on you every ten minutes. What emergency could possibly come up in a few minutes that you’ll need them for? There’s also The Ignorer-no matter how many times you look at them, or how long you stand by them-you do not exist. They’re too busy with their co-workers to be bothered to help you. Or they’re texting their friends. I hate encountering these ones because I don’t need help in a store often, but when I do, you better believe I’m expecting the employee to help me out. Otherwise, what are they there for?
There is one kind of employee that I like. The one that just asks, as you pass them, if you need help with anything, and that’s it. They’re not all up in my face and at least they’re making their presence known to me. Mostly, I just like when they leave me alone. So to those people who work retail that happen to read this, just know, less is more.

4 comments:

Maleen said...

I have to agree. I really hate places based on commission. I almost feel bad telling them I'm just looking. And I don't like being the only one in the store, because they follow me with their eyes the entire time I'm there.

Alicia Hawks said...

this is why I want to be a secret shopper!! down with the evil lack of customer service!!!! there is no such thing anymore.

PJ said...

I don't like it when people talk to me and try and convince me I look cute in shoes/shirt/skirt/pants. Usually when they persist in saying you look good in something, it looks awful on you.

You know what I'm talking about.

Chelle! said...

I have to agree with Maleen on this one and I guess, Nikki's comment is great and so is PJ's. I think that you handled yourself appropriately!!!