Monday, April 21, 2008

Being lost is just a state of mind.

I decided today to run outside. The weather was looking pretty good, and it didn't seem to be too windy. I was actually proved wrong there. It was windy-but not too much that I couldn't handle it. I don't understand how I run against the wind no matter what direction I'm facing. Stupid stupid wind. Well, I like to mix up my runs-I don't like to take the same route over and over again. Today, I went on one that I've never been on before, and was excited to see where it would lead me. Usually I grab my cell phone on a run, but today I decided not to-I just wanted to get away from everything. I put on some tunes, and out the door I went.
I'm from "big-city" Orem. Anywhere you go, you'll hit a road that'll lead to someplace. That is definitely not the same here in Spanish. If you pass a road, kiss anything goodbye-because you'll never see anything else again. I started out in a direction I'd been before, so I knew a little of where I'd be going. I turned east down a road, assuming I'd end up turning down a road in a while. After about a mile or two, I realize I have no idea where I am. I don't know where the roads have gone, I'm like, in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farmhouse type places. I see no people-save for a few people on 4-wheelers. And if you know me at all-you know I'm a little stubborn. I don't want to admit (even if its just to myself) that I'm lost and should probably turn back. I assume that eventually I will hit a road, I see houses and stuff in the distance, and figure I'll get to them quickly.
I did not. And the more I kept running, the more I realize that I need to admit defeat. As much as I want to see how far this road goes, I don't think its wise, because what if it never ends? Or ends on some farm where some creepy farmer likes to kill anyone who ends up near his farm? Accepting finally that the smarter thing to do is turn back to civilization, I do so, defeated. Maybe someday, I'll go all the way down that road-with a cell phone handy in case I need to be rescued.

4 comments:

PJ said...

What is up with the wind in Spanish Fork? How can it be coming face on every direction?!?!

I am going to buy you a map of Spanish Fork. Then if you get lost, you can jump into your map and figure out how to get home without having to turn around. Do you think they have one at Barnes & Noble?

Chelle! said...

Oh, I hate the wind in Spanish Fork. It is too crazy!! You know you should be a tad bit more careful!! Scarey people are out there!!

Maleen said...

I really can't imagine you running. I know you talk about it all the time, but I only see you at your desk, so I am a bit skeptical. I may have to put a private detective on the matter. He could get me some good candids.

Alicia Hawks said...

that actually sounds like fun. not the being lost part- but i love exploring new places. makes me want to go out right now and explore (middle of orem though... don't think I'd find anything interesting...)