Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Peppermint Sugar Cookie Bars

So, I'm making treats aplenty today for Christmas, since I'll have my whole family here. I decided on peppermint as my theme, so I made some peppermint sugar cookie bars. Here's the recipe:

½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup powdered sugar
1 egg
4 tablespoons sour cream OR plain greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla

frosting
½ cup butter
2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon peppermint extract (OR vanilla extract)
¼ cup finely crushed candy canes

All right, to make them, preheat oven to 375, grease a 9x13 pan. In a medium bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugars and mix until combined. Add egg, sour cream, and vanilla and mix well. Gradually mix flour mixture into wet ingredients and continue to mix until the dough comes together and not crumbly. Gently press dough into bottom of prepared pan. But here's what I don't understand - my dough was still really dry. I had to really work on it to make it stick together to be a "dough", and I followed her recipe exactly, so I don't know what's going on there. Bake 18-22 minutes until golden. Allow to cool completely. Since I was pressed for time, I put the bars outside in the snow, and they cooled down super fast.
When the bars have cooled, prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl whip butter for 2-3 minutes  until very fluffy. Add cream cheese and mix well. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until completely combined. Mix in peppermint extract. Spread frosting over cooled bars. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Cut into squares or triangles and serve. Store in airtight container.Here's what I did. Turns out, I didn't have any candy canes in the house, so there was no sprinkling for me. But they turned out super delicious and very pepperminty.
And then I made a batch of peppermint brownies, but I forgot to take a picture! Basically, I just made regular brownies, and then threw in a cup of peppermint chips and frosted them with a delicious vanilla frosting, sprinkled with peppermint chips. Dig it, guys.

No comments: