Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's my bed!

I have a twin bed. It's very small, granted, but I love it. When I stretch out, I cover the length of the whole thing. It is, of course, wider than I, but not by a whole lot. Sometimes, I let Tiny Troop sleep on there with me, but only if I'm willing to change the way I lay. When Troop is on there, I have to sleep on my side, knees bent, and Troop sleeps in the little crook of my knees, it's quite adorable.
My dog, Gretl, however, takes up the entire bed when she's on there, which she isn't really allowed to be. She's a German Shepherd, so of course she's big, and she's the same as I-when she stretches out on the bed, she takes up the whole thing. Last night, I was all ready for bed, and went into my room. Lying upon my bed was Gretl, but not stretched out, she was curled into a ball, which meant she only took up half of the bed, the lower half. I thought it was cute, and I was too beat to move her, so I just got into the bed also. I laid down, and my legs were right next to her. I shifted so that she could stay the way she was, which made my legs hang slightly off the edge. After I moved my legs down there, she kinda growled a little, and I of course wondered why she was growling, seeing as how it's my bed. I should be the one growling!
Because of how much room she was taking up, I didn't get to put my pillows flat, so I was sleeping in a semi-sitting up position, which wasn't too bad, but not a good position to sleep in. I fell asleep at about eleven, then woke up at one, being not at all comfortable. I was half hanging off the bed, with my upper body still sitting up. I shifted, to bring my feet back up, and Gretl once again made a menacing noise at me. Having had enough of this, I sleepily asked her why she could complain at me, when she was a visitor. (Yes, I realize, talking to a dog isn't smart, but come on. I was tired, half asleep, and she was taking up all the room!) She moved a little, to move her paws, and I took my chance. I shoved her a little with my legs, and finally, she got off the bed. Laughing at my victory, I stretched out, put my pillows in the position I like 'em best, and went back to sleep, all comfortable like.
The lesson I am taking from this, is that no matter how cute I think Gretl is, I really am going to kick her off the bed before I try to make us fit on there together. I need my sleep more than I need to be sharing my space with an overgrown puppy.
Please excuse the creepy eyes she has in this.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

Too funny!! Maybe you should invest in a bigger bed...it looks as if Gretl is there to stay!!!

PJ said...

That's about the weirdest blog entry I've ever read.

Maleen said...

The nerve of her, growling at you. She should be lucky you share at all. Tyler growls at me sometimes, but if I give him a good thwack, he usually backs down. Then again, I give him most of the bed to begin with.