Friday, January 18, 2008

I thought it felt a bit drafty

As everyone knows, (and by everyone, I think I mean PJ and myself. Maybe other fans) today is the MLS draft! This excites me for many reasons, but reason number one is…this means soccer season is almost upon us! It’s my favorite time of the year. (The fact that it is summer also might help, but that can only be the cherry on top of the sundae.) There is nothing I like more than going to a soccer game. The smell of the stadium, with the fake grass, the delicious hot dogs I can smell cooking, the shouts of fans, the *pow* you can hear of the ball being kicked by the players, that is where its at. Not to leave anything out, I also can't wait for the Reserves games. You get to see the players more up and close, not having to be in bleacher seats, you can sit right on the side of the field here, practically inches away from a player. I am excited, anticipating what players we might acquire. I am sad for the ones we have lost, Esky my man, Jamie Watson, and happy for the ones we got rid of. I don’t mean to hate on Atiba Harris, but oh man, did he drive me crazy. But with new players and a new season brings on new hopes. Hopes of a kick-butt season, with more wins than losses, hopes of more games to see, hopes of more player sightings, (And by sightings, I mean, I’ll stalk these guys if I have to. I’m not ashamed to say I’ve waited in hotel lobbies just to catch a glimpse of these guys) and hopes of screaming myself hoarse at games. I also can't wait to see who we get. Will we pick anyone from the awesome Wake Forest? They have the best men's soccer in the country, and anyone from there is going to be amazing. Do we keep a lot of my favorites? Mantilla, Rimando, Beckerman, my list goes on and on. Here’s to hoping Real represents this year, and becomes the team we’ve all known they can be, with the right leadership from a great coach. I can’t wait to put on my white and red and cheer these guys on.

3 comments:

Chelle! said...

Did you even take a breath when you were writing that? When ever you talk about soccer--you talk fast and loud. We all know from miles and miles away that you are true soccer fan!!!! HEE HEE Oh, have I ever told you that I played soccer from pre-kindegarten to 6th grade? When I got tired of being kicked, oh, the aggression set in? But, then...I would be upset after a game if I kicked too many people...not sure it was worth all of it--ok, it was!!!

Unknown said...

And thank Almighty Ghu that there's a Tivo to record the draft for watching at a reasonable hour.

Maleen said...

I think it's cool that people have true loves that others don't necessarily know about. I would never have you pegged for a soccer lover but from the way you talk, it is obviously serious obsession. I love it! Maybe I'll come watch a game with you just to see you in action!