Monday, April 13, 2020

Quarantine Project: Degrease the Kitchen Cabinets

This morning I was like, Self, we're gonna clean the tops of the cabinets today. At this point, I've pretty much cleaned and organized most of the house, so, just gotta keep on keeping on, I think. So I decided that since I was up there the other day getting something and I realized, it's gross up there. So, I searched on Pinterest to see the best way of cleaning it and I got some tips. One of them was just to go to the store, find a degreaser and use that. The other tip (on this same website) was to use vinegar and baking soda. I decided to take a gander at our cleaning supplies and see what we had. What luck! We had a degreaser! A Lysol one.
As I was using this, I was texting a friend about my project. She asked if I was using a chemical one or the vinegar/baking soda one. I said chemical, and she was like, okay good, because the vinegar one just doesn't work haha good to know.

So the first step was to spray this on the cabinet top, wait 2-3 minutes and then use a credit card-type apparatus (I used a frequent diner card for a sushi place I haven't been to in years!) to scrape the top of the gunk off, and using a paper towel to clean off the card. Then I sopped up the liquid with paper towels. I sprayed again with the Lysol, and then wiped it off. After it was dry from that, I used a Clorox wipe and just wiped it down for good measure.

Here's what that looked like as I did it:
Gross!!!! So I slaved on this for a good few hours. And then I ran out of the Lysol, ah, oh no. Husband went into the (NEWLY CLEANED) shed to find another degreaser, he was sure we had one.
Lo and behold, we did!

So I poured this into the Lysol bottle and went to town.
Phew! This was so much stronger! I mean, of course it was, it's industrial, but oh my lord it was so much easier! As I was doing this, I snapped another pic, to show the difference between the cleaned section and the not cleaned section.

Wowza!
Now, I know that I should have taken a pic of ALL of the cabinets after I had cleaned them, but alas I didn't. After they were all clean and dry (with all the windows opened on this chilly and window day to get the smell out) I put some parchment paper on the top of the cabinets. This way, when I want to clean them in the future, I just have to swap out the paper!

No comments: