Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Copycat Nuggets

Ok, I tried a new recipe tonight, trying to make copycat Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets. I should have looked at the recipe a little closer before getting started, because I was supposed to do a step for between 2 hours and overnight, and I only did it for about 20 minutes, but they still turned out okay, so I don’t know how necessary that is. If I try it again, I’ll try it for longer. But here’s the recipe I used!

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 1/2 cups milk, divided
1/2 cup dill pickle juice
1 cup peanut oil (I used Canola oil, apparently I didn’t have peanut)
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Salt and black pepper

In a large bowl, combine chicken, 1/2 cup milk and pickle juice. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to overnight; drain well (keep in mind, I didn’t do this, I just did this for maybe a half hour). Heat peanut/canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 1 cup milk and egg. Stir in chicken and gently toss to combine; drain excess milk mixture. In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine chicken, flour and powdered sugar; season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.

Ok, and then, I made the two sauces we usually get at Chick-Fil-A, the Polynesian, and the honey mustard. Recipes for both:

Honey Mustard:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon mustard
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Mix together all ingredients and let hang out in the fridge, chillin’.

Polynesian Sauce:
1 cup California French Dressing
3 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
6 tablespoons honey

Whisk together and let chill in the fridge until ready.

Ok on the Polynesian sauce, it was…interesting. There was WAY too much vinegar, so I would either cut back way way lots on that, or maybe do regular vinegar, instead of apple cider. I don’t know what would make it better, so I am just guessing on that.

Other than that, this was good! It didn’t taste EXACTLY like Chick-Fil-A, but it was pretty dang close. I think it’s the pickle juice, I never realized that was what I was tasting there. But I recommend this, guys, it’s really good!

chick

No comments: