Friday, January 6, 2012

Song Re-Writes : Speak Now

As I was driving to work this morning, I was listening to a Taylor Swift song, ‘Speak Now"’. For those of you that haven’t heard this song, please listen before you continue to read, otherwise, the rest of this blog won’t really make a lot of sense to you. (Sorry that this is a live version of the song. I had hoped there would have been an official music video, but alas, there is not)

Ok, still with me? Now, I don’t know who listens to Taylor Swift very often (I do, I really love her, I can’t help it) but there is a general theme between her songs. She always has a crush on a guy, and usually he’s with another girl, so by the end of the song, she has broken them up, because the boy has realized that Taylor is PERFECT for him, and all their years of friendship have just blinded him to the fact that they’re in love, but now he gets it, and they’ll live happily ever after. I’ve said if before (not on here, though): Taylor Swift likes to break up relationships. And in this song, it’s a wedding she’s breaking up! Anyway, what I was thinking this morning was, I bet that a song from the point of view from the bride-to-be would make an amazing song. I’m not really one for writing songs, but just think of it: there’s this innocent girl (lets name her…Sue!) , and its her wedding day. Sue’s finally marrying the man of her dreams, and she’s a little nervous for the day, I mean, every bride is! So as she’s getting ready for the day, with her bridesmaids and all, she’s reflecting on how the last few months have been a little crazy. Her fiancée, (lets call him Jake) has been acting a little distant lately. And Sue is just sure that one girl, Taylor, is to blame for it, she’s always flirting with Jake. So Sue’s getting ready, and she’s stressed, and one of her bridesmaids asks her a question, but oh man, Sue just got to the breaking point, and she’s snapped at the poor bridesmaid. Obvs she feels bad for it and apologizes. So Sue disinvites Taylor from the wedding, because if there’s a problem with someone, you don’t want them to maybe ruin your big day! Finally, the moment is here, and they’re walking down the aisle. Sue sees her Jake waiting for her at the end of the aisle, she’s so excited! She walks down, takes his hand, and the preacher starts the ceremony. He gets to the “If anyone has just cause as to why these two shall not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace.” Sue holds her breath, hoping nothing goes badly, and… there! Taylor pops out from behind a curtain (Why is she here?! Why is she hiding?!) and addresses Jake, telling him to run now, he loves her, they should leave. And the gall! He does! He leaves Sue standing at the altar, in tears, in her beautiful wedding dress. Her wedding is ruined, her life is ruined, and her fiancée had been cheating on her all this time.

See? Wouldn’t that make an interesting song? I wish I knew how to write songs, because this would make a great one, and I would send it to Taylor Swift, telling her it’d make a great follow-up to ‘Speak Now’. She’d sing it, and make millions, and send me some of the profits from it. I can dream, right? I hope you enjoyed my song re-writes, and if I think of anymore, I’ll be sure to share them.

1 comment:

Maleen said...

This makes me sad that Taylor can't sing about relationships that are just great to begin with and kinda stay that way.

Oh well.

I like your version though, but it would have to be country...you know that right?