Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes

This weekend, the baking bug bit me once again. It has been a while since I’ve baked last, so I gave everyone around me a break for the time being. But then I found this recipe, and I just had to try it. I follow a cupcake blog on Twitter, and they sent out this recipe, and when they tweeted it out, they said that it was cupcakes, I remember this. Why else would they have sent it out? So when I finally set out to make them, I had my ingredients all set out on the counter, and then I noticed, the recipe actually says its a cake. So then I thought, how hard could it be to make this into cupcakes? So I gave that a go, and boy did that go wrong. I don’t know what the heck happened with this recipe, but I hated it. So I combined all the ingredients:

Mixer

Fancy, eh? I got this mixer for Christmas from my mom and pop, and I only finally this weekend broke down and use it. I didn’t want to use it, it was so nice and fancy! But it works quite well, it was so smooth and awesome. So after I mixed everything together, I put them all into the cups. I didn’t know how full to make the cups, so I did about halfway full, maybe 2/3, depending on the cup. Then I noticed that they topping has to be put onto the top of the cake, and swirled in. While that is pretty easy for a cake, to do that for cupcakes? So hard! So I made the topping, and tried my hardest to swirl. This is what they looked like after that:
Precooked Cakes So now with the topping, the cupcakes were all mostly filled, pre-baking. I hoped that it would be ok, but sadly, it was not. When I baked them, they overflowed – and I mean in a big way. It spilled over the top, onto the pan, and all over the oven. :( I may have posted pictures of that, but when it happened, I was trying to clean up the mess, and it was a crazy few minutes happening, so grabbing a picture wasn’t really a top priority for me. So I cleaned it up best I could, and cleaned up the pans, and glazed the cupcakes. I waited a few minutes for the cupcakes to cool a bit, and I tried one while it was still warm, and… >>SIGH<< heaven. So good they were, despite the hellishness of trying to get them baked. They were also pretty delicious cold, but warm was really good, it tasted like a cinnamon roll. (which is the point of the recipe!) Here’s what they looked like, coming fresh out of the glazing process.

Finished cakes

I don’t know that I’ll ever make this recipe again, or if I do, I’ll just make it as a cake, and not worry about trying to make it into cupcakes. In case you want it, here’s the recipe.

Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes

Cake:
3 C flour

¼ tsp salt

1 C sugar

1 ½ C milk

2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla

½ C butter, melted

Topping:

1 C butter, softened

1 C brown sugar

2 Tbsp flour

1 Tbsp cinnamon

Mix everything together except for the butter, until smooth. Slowly stir in the melted butter, and pour into a greased 9X13 pan.

For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined. Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes.

Glaze:

2 C powdered sugar

5 Tbsp milk

1 tsp vanilla

While warm, drizzle the glaze over the cake.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I can personally attest that they were super yummy.

I feel so privileged. Normally I see your treats and just dream how they taste. So happy to get some Vieve Bakery Goods!

Chelle! said...

These were so delicious!!! What is your next treat that you are bringing into the office?