Thursday, October 20, 2011

Melted Witch Puddles

I felt like doing some baking yesterday, so I pulled out a recipe I have gotten recently (from a relief society event, can you believe?) and made Melted Witch Puddles. They are pretty easy, but being my first time making them, I definitely had some hurdles to jump over, and I have some things I would do differently next time. Sometimes I hate as I’m making something for the first time, and as soon as I get done with a step, I can think of a better way of doing it, and curse myself for not thinking of it sooner. Anyway, the puddles:

 witchpuddles

And in case you wanted a recipe:

Melted Witch Puddles

1 tsp water

4 drops yellow food coloring

1 ½ cups flaked coconut

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

6 Tabs shortening, divided

36 Oreos

36 bugles

4 cups vanilla or white chips

36 pretzel sticks

In a large resealable bag, combine water and food coloring, add coconut. Seal bag and shake to tint coconut, set aside. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 2 Tb shortening, stir until smooth. Dip bugles into chocolate, set aside to cool. For witches hats, place about 1/3 cup chocolate mixture in a resealable plastic bag, cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. Pip a small amount of chocolate onto a cookie. Dip a Bugle in some of the remaining chocolate, allow the excess to drip off. Position over Oreo, forming a witch hat. Set on waxed paper to dry. Repeat with remaining Bugles and cookies. For puddles, melt vanilla chips and remaining shortening, stir until smooth. Spoon mixture into shape of a puddle on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Immediately place a witches hat on the puddle. For broomstick, dip the end of a pretzel into white chocolate, then drip that into the coconut. Place in the chocolate next to the hat. Chill for 15 minutes or until set. Store in an airtight container.

These are pretty delicious, and totally perfect for Halloween!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

Tyler showed me that picture a few days ago, and I was trying to figure out what the top of the hat was made of. Thanks for posting the recipe. My questions are all answered.

Chelle! said...

Aw...these are so cute and might I add...delicious!