Monday, October 10, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, kids, Happy Columbus day! Today is a glorious day…ok, I won’t lie. Columbus Day really means nothing to me. Its not a day you get off of school, it’s not a day you get off of work, it’s not really a day I observe, so to me, sadly, it doesn’t really mean anything. But last year I learned that Canadian Thanksgiving is today. And, having married a Canadian, this means I get two Thanksgivings a year!

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I’m not really sure why Canadians are weirdos and hold it a month early, but I’m happy to celebrate it as many ways as I can. I don’t treat Canadian Thanksgiving the same way I celebrate American Thanksgiving. On our holiday, I run the Turkey Trot, I sit around all day watching parades, and stuff myself to the gills at dinner, and then spend the rest of the day in a food coma on the couch, watching Thanksgiving-ey movies. (thank you, Lifetime and Hallmark channels, for airing those types of movies, that I can Tivo). But today, because it’s not a holiday Americans celebrate, I get up…go to work…wait until the day is over, and then eat a regular sized dinner. It’s still turkey, and all that jazz, but the feeling isn’t quite the same.

Maybe someday this great nation of ours will start to celebrate the holidays of other countries. Maybe we’ll have many days off a year, for things that we don’t really understand. But for now, I will celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving the way everyone does – by mostly ignoring it. :)

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

I wished that you would have had the biggest Thanksgiving dinner that you were so secretly hoping for. Hmm...maybe next year.