Sunday, August 2, 2009

I look at it as a suggested speed

Here's the thing. I freak out when I see police cars. You don't get pulled over 6 times in a few years and don't get nervous whenever you see a cop car. This weekend, we went on a hike at this place in Alpine. We weren't entirely sure how to get there, so there was a lot of erratic driving, trying to figure out where we were supposed to turn. We had been on this road for a while, and going pretty fast, when I saw a cop. I immediately broke into a sweat, and looked at my speed. I was only going 40, and I was in a 35 zone. I felt pretty ok, until pretty quickly, they immediately flipped around. In my positivity, I was like, oh, they won't be coming after me. The lights flip on, I pulled over, and...of course, they were coming after me.
I start to panic, and PJ, who's with me, didn't actually notice that we had been pulled over for a few minutes. There were two policemen in the car, and one came on my side, and the other one went to PJ's side and stood back, hand on hip, just in case we were dangerous. Which we totally are! He told me I was speeding at 40 in a 25, and I said that I was pretty sure the limit was 35, and he asked if I was from around there. I explained that no, we weren't, we were just trying to find this river/hike place. He took my license and registration, and then they were doing their thing for a little, checking me out, I assume.
They came back, handed everything back to me, and said he was only giving me a warning! I had never been so happy. I told him he was my favorite, and he was taken aback and said thank you. I'm not really sure why he was surprised to be a favorite after not giving a ticket! He then explained to us how to get to the hike! I was so glad that I dodged the bullet, and hopefully, I'll take the officer's advice and start slowing down. But I kinda doubt that will happen. If I didn't learn that from the first six actual tickets, I don't know that getting a warning will.

No comments: