Monday, January 12, 2009

I speak six languages...

Ok, maybe not six. But I am learning many right now. Of course, I speak English, which I consider my "mother tongue". I can conjugate verbs, I can speak the slang, I'm pretty sure I've got the language down pat. I can do Spanish, not fluent, but I can hold my own. I can understand it and read it pretty well, but speaking it isn't my strong point.
My new languages I'm doing are Polish and German. I'm not professionally learning those though. (is that how you would describe it?) I got a German phrase of the day calender for 2009, and I'm using that to learn the language. You'd think that having my lil' German mama would have made me learn it sooner, but no dice. So far, I can say about three phrases in German. If you see me in the street, I'll happily say them for you! I'm sure my accent isn't the best ever, but I don't care. At least you can get the feel of what I'm trying to say. Plus, these phrases will really come in handy should I ever visit Germany and not have anybody there to translate for me. Of course, if someone answers me back in a phrase I don't know, I'm stuck, but at least I did half of the work!
The Polish isn't really coming along all that well. I know about six words, which I always forget until I speak to a friend of mine. He always laughs at me because I announce that I learned a new word over the weekend (from PJ, who learns it from a gal at work), but then I can't repeat or even remember what the word is until he repeats it for me. It's a hard language, I can't remember it all! But the words I'm working on remembering are ones that I would use a lot. But he helps me with the pronounciation, which he always does, no matter how many times I've "learned" it before!
I'm going to work really hard on all this stuff until I can hold a conversation with someone. But if I can't at some point, at least I know some of the languages, which will make me seem so learned!

2 comments:

Chelle! said...

If I could get that "UG" sound down, I could learn to speak German. Okay, never mind...I sound more like a demon!!

Maleen said...

Okay, that wasn't even close to six. Four is miles away. Although, if you know Spanish, I guess that does mean you know 48% of the romantic languages, so I will give you your six back.