Saturday, January 30, 2016

Tres Leches Cupcakes

Now, I've made Tres Leches cupcakes before. They were...all right. But I decided to make them again, I was having a visiting teaching lunch, and the theme was Mexican. I tried a new recipe this time, here we go:

¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup coconut milk

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing until combined. Add the vanilla, mix to combine. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. Alternately add the dry mixture with the buttermilk to the creamed butter beginning and ending with the flour. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into  cake batter. Fill paper-lined wells 3/4 full. Bake for about 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then take out let cool a little more, but not too much.  Stir together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and the coconut milk. I used a chopstick and poked a bunch of holes in the cupcakes all over and then poured the mixture onto them - evenly distributing the milk between them.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight before frosting. (Since it's so cold, I just put mine in the garage for a few hours.) Then I made a ducle de leche frosting:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup dulce de leche

Cream the butter well, and then add the powdered sugar, until its  a good consistency that you like, and then add the ducle. Frost.
These were good, but again, I had the problem of them just not quite being wet enough. Maybe I'm too picky with my tres leches. But these are really good, and I do recommend them.

No comments: