Saturday, April 2, 2011

This is when I hate being “adult”

This week, I got really sick. I know, I know, nobody can believe it, I can hardly believe it myself. But Wednesday night, I went to bed totally healthy, and even to Husband I said “No matter what happens tomorrow, I’m doing P90X tomorrow night (I’ve been totally slacking on that lately) so I was in good shape. Cut to 2:30 the next morning, I wake up feeling horrible. I spent the next 14 hours between lying on the bed in agony and vomiting. I feel a little bit like I told my body we weren’t going to not work out for anything, and my body went, “Wanna bet?” Anyway, the point of the blog is this. I haven’t been sick in a long time, not like this, anyway. But every time I’ve been sick, I’ve been at home, living with my parents. Mama has always taken care of me when I’ve been sick. I’ve been used to it, and I’m so grateful for it. This is the first time I’ve been sick all by myself. I did have Husband to take care of me a little, but there are some things that I just couldn’t bring myself to ask him to do for me.

For example (and I’m super sorry to my readers for the grossness of this) there was a time when I didn’t quite make it to the toilet for another round of throwing up. Usually, when this happens, I have Mama to take care of this awful awful task. She’s a mom, she’s spent years taking care of all of us, so her stomach must be of steel. But because she wasn’t here for me, I had to take care of myself, and clean up after myself. I have taken for granted that someone has been there to do all of this for me.

I am now tipping my hat to all mothers, especially my Mama. She has done so much for me and the rest of my siblings, and while I have appreciated it, it wasn’t until today that I realized this. But good work for all of you that do this for others, with minimal to no complaining. I am now in recovery. I can’t yet really eat anything, but I can walk around and finally move, so that’s a step up. I also have missed food these past few days. For some reason, I have really been craving bagels. And pancakes. And fried chicken. So hopefully, when I get a little better, and can finally eat something without feeling sick, I will get all of these foods. Not all at once, though, or else I think I’d be back in this position.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

It isn't fun when Mom's aren't around to take care of us when we are sick. I agree...it is not fun being adult when you are sick.