Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ole Ole Ole Ole

Last night was the final CONCACAF game for my beloved RSL. They still do play in the regular MLS competitions, this was just an extra competition we’re in. It comprises of US/Mexico/Canada, the Caribbean and Central America. Up to last night, we were the only US team left in the tournament. I’m not sure when we started playing in this, maybe sometime in the summer? But we’ve been doing pretty well in it, obviously, since we were the last MLS team in it.

I had been super pumped up to get to this game. Every game has been great, and full of suspense, and then all of a sudden, we found ourselves in the final! Here it was! Thank goodness for me, the final was here in beautiful Sandy. I left work, got all decked out in my team colors, and off I went. The team had asked for a “Red Out”, they wanted us all in red, and we were happy to oblige. We got to the game pretty early, to get fully in the mood. The stadium was packed. It was sold out, including selling out of standing room. And everyone was in red. The stadium was loud, we all stood the whole game, it was amazing.

I’m setting the mood up for this, to let you know how great it was, what the atmosphere was like. We were pretty evenly matched the first half. We sadly were missing our captain, Kyle Beckerman, but we seemed to be surviving without him. Of course, 40 seconds before the first half was over, Monterrey scored. What an unfortunate way to start the second half, but I still had high hopes that we could come back from this. We either needed to beat them (duh) or be tied at zeros or ones to win.

Sadly, we never came back. We had a lot of amazing opportunities, but we just couldn’t seem to get any in the net. When the final whistle blew, there was stunned silence from the crowd where minutes before, we’d all been so loud. But I’m proud of my RSL. They played an amazing game, they just had some bad luck in this game. Luckily that wasn’t our season, it was just the CONCACAF. Our season has only just began – and I can’t wait for the remaining games. I think it’ll be a nice consolation to have us win the MLS Cup this year. I know our guys can do it – they’re having a great season so far. I can’t wait to see how it all unfolds.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

So sad that they lost...but awesome that you had a great time!!! Ole Ole Ole Ole