Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Canning Peaches!

 My peach tree has been plentiful this year. And I'm not sure what to do with the peaches! So what did I decide? Can them! I have never ever done this before, but armed with a helpful internet page and canning supplies from my SIL, I was ready to get going. Epifanio came to help, and he was hype. 



If you want the recipe I used, here is the site: https://fountainavenuekitchen.com/canned-peaches/

So first we weighed the peaches to see how many pounds I had. (6!) Then, we had to peel them. The website said that I needed to put them into boiling water and then a cold bath to shock them, and stop them from cooking. Okay. 


So the peeling wasn't that great, but hey, we did our best. After the peeling, I quartered them. 

Then I followed the directions and boiled them with sugar and stuff. 

Then, poured them into mason jars, added some juice, put the lids on, and put them into the water bath. Then, after 30 minutes, I pulled the whole thing off the stovetop and put them onto the counter, and then took the jars out of the water. (Husband had to lift this off the stovetop, I couldn't lift it once it had water and jars haha)

And they were ready! 


They had to sit for 24 hours, which is how the finish the sealing, with the cool down. Now! I have 3 whole jars (I only did a small batch because of it being my first time) and in 3 weeks or so, I'm going to open a jar, and eat myself some peaches and see how they went. And if they're gross, I'm only out the cost of ... nothing, actually. The peaches were from my tree, so, free, the jars were from my SIL's house, and she got them from her parents house, so, free. So, yeah! Hopefully they worked, I will keep you apprised! 

No comments: