Sunday, April 5, 2009

The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank

Spring is (sorta) here! Along with the warmer weather and the soccer season starting, it's also the start of racing season. I had my first race of the year yesterday, the Provo City Half-Marathon & 5K. For this race, I chose to do the 5K. PJ was originally going to race with me, but due to an injury, she was forced to sit this one out.
We showed up to the race Saturday morning, bright and early, since the race started at 8:10. PJ came with me for moral support, to cheer me along, which was awesome of her. The half-marathoners race started at 8:00, so as soon as they took off, we all lined up in the chute. The starting gun (or maybe it was a cannon? I'm still not sure) went off, and off we went. I started off with a really good pace, and was doing pretty good. I decided to follow the pace of this guy in front of me, but when we went up a hill, I passed him, so that ended up not being the smartest move. I kept going and kept passing a bunch of people, which was a new thing for me.
I finished with a time of 27 minutes 26 seconds, which is my fastest 5K to date. I was 88th overall and 29th in the women's overall, which I consider to be pretty awesome. I was glad to have gotten this out of the way, so that I'll be all ready for my next race, which is in 2 weeks, which I'll write more about later. And today, I'm just dealing with being sore-which I am just a little, so I'll just rest up.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

AWESOME!! That is really good. I don't think I could finish a 5K.

But I will get my Wii Fit and all that will change (read: I will then THINK that I could finish the race when I still probably couldn't).

Chelle! said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck on this weeks race!!