Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Medaled

Ok, peeps. I had another race this past weekend. It was, (and I know you’ll be impressed by this) the Lindon City Days Dash – a 5K. Last year, I did this race pretty quickly, I won my age group. I was so psyched when it came around again, of course I entered. This time, I was hoping to get the same result, but since I’m no longer as fast as I used to be, (because lately, I’m in like, a runners funk. I don’t know what its about, but I just don’t want to get up and run. And when I run, I’m just so lazy, I run slower than I used to. Oh well.) I didn’t know that it would happen, but at least I’d give it a go.

So we (PJ and I) show up at the race at the appropriate time, to get our race packets and pin our race numbers to our shirts. The race was a totally different course than I thought it would be. Its always fun to try a new course, but I like having the same one, because then you know just when it’s going to go uphill, and when you have to push yourself and when you can hold back. So I was going into this blind, but confident. The countdown began, and when it was time to go, off I went.

I did ok. I went pretty fast right off, and was doing pretty good, until about mile 2, and then, I slowed a bit. I was getting a little tired, and my body isn’t used to racing 5K’s right now, the last few I’ve done have been 10K’s. But I held in. I kept going. I did the best I could, and then when I was nearing the end, the course went uphill. That’s right, one of the fewest races in the entire world where you run UP to get to the end. As if we’re not already dying by the time we get to the end, we had to finish by running uphill. But I soldiered through it (probably slowed right down) and then finally finished. After a post-race cool down (complete with blue Powerade and a slice of bread from Kneaders) we sat down and waited for the “awards ceremony” to get going. As they’re passing things out, I realized, I actually wasn’t that fast. Hearing the times of people, I was like, shoot. I did my best, but I guess it wasn’t fast enough. So then they get to my age group, and they say the fastest time was me! I was so surprised, I shouted and screamed, and jumped up to get my medal. I meant to take a picture of it, but I only got this one of me and PJ (how attractive do we look in this?!) so here’s a half picture of the medal.

race

So there it is. My medal for being fastest in my age group (25-29). I am a little proud of myself, so I want to share this with the world. This is the only race I ever get medals in, because the race is small and there aren’t many participants. But I’ll forget all that when I celebrate my victory.

Oh, BTW, the shirt that I’m wearing here is a hamburger, and underneath him is the saying “Runners have the best buns” and I thought it was magnificent. And then the little burger is saying “Tasty!” so I thought that was even better.

2 comments:

Maleen said...

You are awesome. Totally my role model right now. Some day when I am ready, I will run a 5k with you.

Chelle! said...

Way to go!!! HOORAY!!!