Sunday, August 8, 2010

That's gonna leave a mark

I have added a new entry to my awesome list, and it came courtesy of an article I read in Runner's World. It talked about running with your dog, and how great it can be. I thought, what a great idea! Sarge is just old enough to be running but not too old that he'd be that tired at the end of a run. So I took him out on Thursday, and it was pretty awesome! He ran like a champ, and kept ahead of me the whole time (Tugging on his leash, he could outrun me in a heartbeat) and when we got down, he wouldn't even do the cool down walk, he just kept trying to run! And afterward, he was panting and drooling like a crazy dog. It was a little funny.
So I decided that this morning, I would take him running again. It was earlier in the day, so the weather was cooler, I thought that would be helpful. Trying to get him into the car to get to my running park was a freaking joke. I don't know if he thought I was trying to kill him, but I assumed that after our car ride on Thursday, he would understand what we were doing, but he was fighting me tooth and nail not to get in there. I shoved him in there, and then he fought me the entire way down there, totally assaulting me! The run was better this time, with it being cooler, but I feel in my shoulder now from him tugging the leash away from me. I'm just not fast enough for him! It took forever to get him back in the car to go home, I do not understand this dog! And trying to get out of the car, he was trying to get out of my car door before I got out there, and it hurts to have a dog climbing over you to get out first. They have claws!
When I finally got him in the house and everything had settled down, I was feeling some aches and pains. I checked myself out, and I found scratches all over my body from Sarge. There are scratches up my back, some on the side of my body, many on my legs, it is ridiculous! Had I known this morning that my crazy dog would have caused me bodily harm in trying to get him in the car with me, I probably wouldn't have taken him. And as much as it pains me, I'm retiring my runs with Sarge. No offense to the little guy, but it's not worth pains all over just to get him some exercise. I'll just stick with the Frisbee throwing and walks for now.

No comments: