Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hike!

I love to hike. I do it as often as I can, because come on, its great! You're up in the mountains...next to natures...or trying to avoid touching it...its all an adventure! Recently, Chelle and I have been hiking every week. They have been some awesome hikes, full of laughter and girlish screams as we trip or fall or something. We just did Stewart Falls, both ways of it (spanning two weeks-since we did one way one week and the other way the next week) and they were both good. This is basically a recap of the adventures and accidents.
The first week, we took the Alpine Loop up there, which is a great hike. There was a part, when we had first started going, that Chelle told me to go out in this field so she could take my picture. I obliged, and on my way, brushed up against some sort of stinging nettle. It burned my leg! It stung, and hurt and tingled, and by the time we got to the top, where the falls are, I had convinced myself that maybe the water there would be healing waters, so I put my leg in there. It neither helped nor hurt, so I just ate my fruit snacks and looked at the view. Chelle had a cut in her foot, she had gotten that earlier, and she decided to put her foot in the stream, maybe it would heal her too! Needless to say, we found out the next day, that no it hadn't, an infection or something had actually settled in instead! But good to know, for the future, that water isn't magic. Good tip.
The next week, we took the Sundance route up, which I thought would be easier, since you take the ski lift up and just hike down. At one point in it, I tripped while stepping over a log and ripped off half of my big toenail. Ouch! I should be paying more attention apparently! Then later, on the falls, Chelle tripped whilst going over the river. Holy cow are we clumsy! As we made our way back down the mountain, we heard, in the trees behind us, a big clatter, and a lot of tree movement. We stopped dead in our tracks, waiting, listening. Chelle, at this point, had swung me around so that I was in front of her-I'm pretty sure she was trying to sacrifice me if whatever it was came after us! There was more clatter and movement, and then, it stopped, and through the trees, all we could see was a big dark shape. Slowly, and quietly, we moved, kept making our way down the mountain. The entire way down, behind us (Well, more like, behind and to the side, since it was in the trees, not the trail) we could the trees moving, and then we'd turn and see a shape back there. Needless to say, I was like, freaking out at this point! We hurried as fast as we could, and got to the end safely, thank goodness!
I don't know if every hike will be this eventful, but I guess we'll keep having to go on them until we're pros at everything! I already know that should we ever be in trouble up there, our cell phones usually work, and I over-plan, so we'll have enough food for like, 3 weeks. And if nobody comes looking for us by that time, we can just become those crazy woods ladies.

1 comment:

Chelle! said...

Oh my gosh!! I was so scared. My heart was beating so fast. Sorry that I sacrificed you to the wolves but...I was not thinking.