Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Do I need improvement?

All right, here's the thing. I know, without anyone telling me, that I'm what people would call, oh...mean. It's not like I set out to be mean, it's just that I feel very strongly that people should be told how things are, I don't think some things should be sugar-coated. Obviously there are times when I won't say exactly what I mean, some people don't like to hear it, but for the most part, I will say just what's on my mind.
I've been told, however, that this isn't exactly a good selling point when trying to make friends or getting a potential mate. I get that some people will get turned off when told that, say, I don't like children, but shouldn't they know this in advance? I'd hate to get told by someone that they don't like them either, but then later (say this actually advanced!) and I find out they want some, oh my heck, the streets would run red with their blood. Believe me when I say this.
I've just been thinking about this for a while, and I can't help but wonder why I need to change myself to fit in with other people. If people don't like me for the crazy weirdo that I am, then why would I want to hang out with them? Especially if, if I'm changing for them, you can be damn sure I'd make them change to suit me.

The quote I think best fits this situation is:
"The reward for conforming is that everyone likes you but yourself." by Rita Mae Brown.

I'd rather just be myself, and only have one friend, then be like everyone else, and have people who don't really know me be my friends. I might be an egotistical person to say this, but I really like myself. I'm pretty awesome, and I'm going to stay just the way I am.

3 comments:

Maleen said...

And why should you change...although if you don't stop bagging on my husband, I may have to come beat you up. Just saying...

Chelle! said...

Oh my...Vieve...people need to learn to keep their mouths shut when it does not pertain to them.

Unknown said...

You know what, you are pretty awesome. You know who else is awesome. That's right, it's me.