Saturday, January 19, 2013

Just Installed a Doorknob…No Big Deal

Yesterday, I was thinking to myself that it might be a good idea to have my door locked all the time when I’m home. (Well, when I’m home alone.) The problem is, my doorknob sticks. The little bolt deal (yup, this is the language you’ll get here) often doesn’t retract out of the door, so when it closes, nothing catches, so it can swing back open. I decided to put an end to this, and went and bought a new doorknob. I found a darker one – I don’t like gold, and while silver is ok, I like the “oil-rubbed bronze” look, so I went with that. I bought it, and came home, ready to put it together.

I had PJ help me on this. We took apart the old doorknob, and got to work. It took some finagling, and I was worried at points that it wouldn’t work out, but finally, after a lot of work, it came together, it closed, locked, and opened again. I tested the keys to make sure they worked, and yay! They did! So I stepped back to admire what it ended up looking like.

Doorknob

Nice, eh? You can see where the original doorknob must have been a hundred years ago (It certainly wasn’t that type of doorknob when we moved in…) but I’m not itching to get a door, so I’m ok for now. At least I got this one in and didn’t have to bring it back or anything!

1 comment:

Maleen said...

Good job. I'm proud of you...seriously.