Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I wish this was something I was better at...

I recently took a caramel-apple making class, at Gygi up in SLC. I was looking forward to it, because, hey, who doesn't want to learn how to make this stuff? It seemed to me like it could be pretty easy, like, not rocket science or anything. So, I get there, and they have everything all set up for me, apples, sticks, dipping supplies, etc. After a quick intro to everything, they set us free on the caramel, in hopes that we could do stuff ourselves.
Turns out, I'm actually not very good at caramel-apple dipping. I don't know if I just don't have the patience for it, or if I didn't follow directions very well, but like all of my apples looked so ugly! So I just keep going with it, because what else am I going to do? So then I just keep trucking away, and I'm trying to salvage my apples, and I'm looking around at everyone else, and they all seem to be doing such a great job! I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about everything, but when I'm not that good at something, I just keep getting angrier at myself. I tried to keep calm, but I was just so upset at my badness!
So at the end of the day, I had made six apples - an Apple Pie one (which was dipped in caramel, then white chocolate, then rolled in a cinnamon/sugar mix), an Oreo one, an M&M one (which was not nearly as good as I thought it was going to be), a chocolate coconut one, a Butterfingers one (which was crazy delicious), and a Reese's peanut butter cup one (also pretty good).
I was glad I took the class, I'm glad I learned things, but I feel like there's so much room for improvement that I feel so behind with it. I don't know if I had an issue, but a few of my apples had the caramel just slide off of it, so that there was like, a ring of caramel on the bottom, but the apple was basically naked. So I need to figure out what's going on with that because I need them to be perfect before I start giving them away to people. So I'll work on that, and then everyone I know will get one!

2 comments:

Maleen said...

I hear you. I went to a caramel apple class and it seemed like it would be easy enough, but why doesn't the caramel want to stay on the apple? Is there some trick? I was bad enough that I don't want to try making them at home. Sad huh?

Chelle! said...

Even though the caramel fell off...they were simply divine!!!